Given our thorough maintenance, testing, training, monitoring and safety programs, a pipeline leak is unlikely. Prevention is our first priority. But if an emergency situation occurs, we are prepared to respond in partnership with local emergency responders to protect the public and the environment.
In the unlikely event of a leak, we will act swiftly to:
- Protect the public
- Conduct a prompt, safe and thorough repair in close cooperation with regulatory authorities
- Mitigate any environmental and property damages
We provide information about our systems and transportation products to local fire, law enforcement and ambulance services. We conduct regular training exercises and emergency drills to provide further education to local emergency responders and to keep employees' skills fresh. Learn more.
Landowners and neighbors help reduce the potential for an emergency by observing right-of-way safety precautions. Learn more.
Public safety is our priority. We have an extensive program of preventive measures to promote the safe, reliable operations of our pipelines and related facilities. These measures include:
- High-quality pipeline materials and anti-corrosion coatings
- Cathodic protection (a low-level electrical charge) to inhibit corrosion of underground pipelines
- Pressure testing of new and existing pipelines
- Inspection programs to locate pipeline features
- Preventive maintenance programs
- Monitoring of pipelines and related facilities
- Frequent aerial and periodic ground surveys of the rights-of-way
- Extensive employee training programs
- Proactive public education and community outreach programs